I decided to host my own wordpress blog, so that I can customise my blog. After reviewing different blog software apache roller, pebble, blojsom, and many more, I find that wordpress provide the best blog functionality.
There are 3 different component that we need to install:
Component 1: MySQL
1. Open a terminal window, and use the following command:
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
2. You will want to install MySQL Administrator and Query Browser. Open your Ubuntu Software Centre from ‘Application > Ubuntu Software Centre’. Type ‘MySQL Administrator in the search text field.
3. Installing ‘MySQL Administrator’ will also install ‘MySQL Query Browser’.
4. Start MySQL Database by typing the following command in the terminal window:
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
Component 2: Apache Server
1. Type the following in your terminal window:
sudo apt-get install apache2
2.Start apache server by typing the following in your terminal window:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
3. test that your apache server is running. Open your web browser and type: http://localhost/ in the address bar. You should see a web page : It Works !
Component 3: PHP
1. You will want to install PHP 5. In your terminal window:
sudo apt-get install php5-mysql
2. Test that your PHP installation is successful. Create test.php file inside /var/www. The file should contain the following php code:
3. Open the test.php in your web browser by typing: http://localhost/test.php. You should see a similiar display as below:
Component 4: Install WordPress
WordPress.org has a good tutorial on how to install wordpress.
1. How-To-Geek’s MySQL Installation Guide
2. Supriyadi’s LAMP Installation on Ubuntu
Overall wordpress is an awesome blogging platform. What is your experience with WordPress like ? Would you recommend any other blogging platform ?